All Saints, North RunctonOpening information to be updated shortly. Please email email@example.com if you plan to visit.
This church building is often locked but a key is available nearby. There will be a notice in the church porch with details of where the key is held.In 1701 the tower collapsed and destroyed the medieval church. It was rebuilt in the contemporary Georgian style and completed in 1713. The architect also designed the Custom House in King's Lynn. In 1887 the render was removed from the chancel walls during the restoration. Four small urns adorn the tower parapet and the white fleche is topped with a weathervane. The west doorway is of classical design, with a rounded arch and half pillars either side beneath a triangular pediment. The nave windows create a pleasing symmetry and the oval shape is repeated on the tower. Outside, against the north wall of the chancel, lies a vault housing the coffins of the Gurney family who lived at Runcton Hall from 1835 to 1965. Inside the church, notice the George III Coat of Arms, and the hatchment of Daniel Gurney (d. 1880). Look up at the striking blue domed nave roof. The Georgian white marble font came from St Margaret's Church in King's Lynn. Monuments adorn every wall and bear witness to the rich social history of the parish. One is dedicated to Samuel Gurney Cresswell, the first naval officer to cross the entire Northwest Passage and the bearer of the news to England. A grand triple arch separates the nave and chancel. Four life-sized evangelists are painted on the panelling in the sanctuary, the work of a Florentine artist. In the centre of the reredos, entirely covering the east window is a painting of Christ rising from the tomb.
Incorrect information? Update this entry