A line of substantial yew trees lines the path to St Andrew's Church. An extensive Victorian restoration saw the rebuilding of the tower but some earlier features survive. There is a 13th century piscina and sedilia, the base of a 16th century screen now located between the chancel and south aisle chapel, and 14th century arcades and corbels. Notice the interesting memorials. That of Margaret Robinson (d.1638) has black marble Corinthian columns and a broken pediment. Mary Ann Kent's memorial (d.1773) tell us that, at the age of four, she 'died under Inoculation. Her fond parents deluded by prevalent Custom suffered the rough officious hand of Art to wound the flourishing root of Nature & rob the little Innocent of the gracious gift of life.' Priscilla Hannah (d.1851) was the wife of Chaplain and Secretary of the Bengal Military Orphan Society, Calcutta.
Incorrect information? Update this entry