St Andrew’s, North BurlinghamOpen daily 9am- 4pm.
St Andrew's Church is a neat perpendicular church set against a backdrop of tall trees. The 15th century tower has a panelled base, and its battlements feature the saltire of St Andrew. Each of the small square traceried sound holes has an individual design. Over the outer arch of the 15th porch is reused Norman material bearing star moulding. The nave roof is impressive with its hammer-beams, bosses and angels all in its original colouring. There are plenty of funny faces on the corbels. Marvel at the 1536 rood screen, possibly the latest to be installed in Norfolk, displaying saints (left to right): Withburga, Benedict, Edward the Confessor, Thomas of Canterbury, John the Baptist, Cecilia, Walston of Bawburgh, Catherine, an unidentifiable figure, and Eltheldreda. Their faces were violently scratched out by iconoclasts, with St Thomas of Canterbury coming off the worst. A medieval angel who fell from the roof is positioned on the screen. The medieval screen across the tower arch came from the ruined church of Burlingham, St Peter. In the chancel you will find an ornate 17th century memorial tablet dedicated to Gregory Mileham flanked by two putti. One of the putti carries a spade and the other an extinguished torch. The church is located adjacent to Burlingham Woodland Walks.
Incorrect information? Update this entry