St George the Martyr, HindolvestonOpen daily dawn to dusk.
This building is the successor to the previous church which was located just outside the village of Hindolveston and suffered a collapsed tower in 1892. Luckily, no one was injured. The chancel remained in use until this new church was complete in 1932. Much material was salvaged from the old church, whose ruined ivy-covered tower still stands. The current church displays an unusual mixture of styles: the brick buttresses of the 1930s and the lancet windows popular in the late 18th century. A medieval door has been reused at the north porch entrance. Fragments of stone from Canterbury and Norwich cathedrals were presented as a gesture of support for the rebuilding and are mounted in the nave wall. The other original features which have been recycled include the octagonal and half-round piers, the vandalised font, poppy-head bench ends, the 14th century piscina and a 17th century chest. Perhaps the most notable is the fine brass set depicting Edward and Margaret Hunt and their 14 children.
Incorrect information? Update this entry