St John the Baptist’s Head, Trimingham

Open daily dawn to dusk.
Parking nearby
Grade II*

Visit Website 360° tour

You may have noticed the very unusual dedication of Trimingham Church. A local will noted that the head of St John the Baptist was kept here. More likely, this was an alabaster representation of the head. The 'History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk' explains that pilgrims 'came to see the head of St John the Baptist which the wily priests pretended they had got.' There are only two other churches in England which share this dedication. The church is largely Perpendicular with an earlier tower. The nave was entirely rebuilt in 1854. Eight saints look out from the 16th Century rood screen, namely: Edmund, Clare, Clement, John the Baptist, Petronella, Cecilia, Barbara and another depiction of Edmund. There is a lovely pink stone double-headed piscina. Also worth observing are the distinctive carvings by the Revd Reginald Page who served as rector here in the early 20th century. His own memorial in the chancel looks, maybe unsurprisingly, like his work too.

Incorrect information? Update this entry