St Martin’s, New BuckenhamOpen daily dawn to dusk.
A splendid Perpendicular church, with a wealth of decoration and detail to enjoy. The striking tower features intricate chequerwork, gargoyles and traceried sound holes. Flushwork also adorns the buttresses and base course stretching all the way around the church. Griffins perch on the porch pinnacle corners. The clerestory windows are miniature versions of the nave windows. Inside notice the carved heads of the apostles, King David and angels on the roof wall posts. The eye is drawn to the font, guarded on its 15th century stem by wild men and lions. The bowl is dated 1st February 1619 and includes the names of the churchwardens of the time. The lady chapel houses a 15th century piscina and an Elizabethan altar table. In the chancel, the tomb in the Easter Sepulchre may be dedicated to the church's founder Sir Robert de Tateshale.
Incorrect information? Update this entry