St Mary’s, Burgh St PeterOpen daily dawn to dusk.
Nestling in the wide bend of the River Waveney, the church is the most south-easterly in Norfolk and enjoys wide views across marsh and farmland. Burgh St Peter and Wheatacre were originally known as Wheatacre Burgh and records show there being two churches: St Peter's and All Saints. Sometime after the mid 18th century, they became separate villages and the dedication of this church was changed to St Mary. The eccentric tower may be the most unusual in England, its closest relative being the ziggurat temples of Mesopotamia. The base dates to the early 16th century but the four blocky stages were built by the Rector Samuel Boycott in 1793. The Boycott Family were local landowners, patrons of the church and, for two hundred years, its incumbents. Samuel's grandson Charles was a land agent in Ireland an attempted to enforce rent rises at a time of agricultural depression. As a result, he was shunned by the whole community for over a year and his name was eventually added to the dictionary. He buried in the churchyard of St Mary's. The ramp for wheelchair access is only available on 24 hours notice. Contact the Churchwarden or Fabric Officer, details of which are displayed on the Diocesan website.
Incorrect information? Update this entry