St Mary’s, North ElmhamOpen daily from 8am to 6pm.
The church of St Mary dates from the late 11th century with a 16th century clerestory and tower. It is adjacent to the site of the See's first Cathedral, transferred to Thetford in 1071. Visible are the ruins of a Norman Bishop's Chapel now in the guardianship of English Heritage. Within the church are fine 16th century bench ends, a 15th century screen and associated wall painting, and a pulpit and communion table carved in the 1630s. A few windows contain fragments of medieval glass. Wheelchair access with assistance.
Incorrect information? Update this entry