St Peter and St Paul’s, Burgh CastleApril-October: 10am - 5pm March-November: 10am-3:30pm December-February for services
St Peter & St Paul's Church is tucked out of the way of the village, near the 3rd century Roman fort of Gariannonum. The round tower dates to the 11th century (notice the large unfaced flints used for the base). Of interest, too, are the fragments of Roman brick and tile in the walls, recycled from the nearby fort. The viewer is struck by the delightful mish-mash of architectural styles on show: a 13th century lancet window between two 15th century perpendicular windows, and the later addition of Tudor square-headed windows in the chancel. The north aisle and its arcade is Victorian. Step inside and notice the font, adorned with angel holding emblems of the Passion and lions. Try to spot the 13th century grave slab which has been fixed to the wall behind the organ. A lancet window is dedicated to St Fursey, an East Anglian missionary based at Burgh Castle. An even more unusual window here is dedicated to 'two great monarchs of lineal descent though 1000 years apart 901-1901' complete with portraits of Queen Victoria and King Alfred. A huge beam is attached to the wall of the north aisle, part of the original 16th century Guildhouse.
Incorrect information? Update this entry