St Andrew’s, WickhamptonOpen daily morning to dusk.
St Andrew's is a Grade 1 listed building dating from around 1200AD and has beautiful C14 wall paintings discovered in 1840 and amongst the finest in East Anglia: "Deeds of Mercy", "3 Living and 3 Dead", "St Christopher" have interesting well preserved details; and there are stone effigies from C13 of a lady and a knight- with a local legend. The character of the church remains largely untouched since extensive work carried out in Victorian times. Just beyond are Halvergate Marshes a SSSI site brilliant for walker and famous for its wildlife.Serve yourself Refreshments are always available.
Incorrect information? Update this entry