St Margaret’s, BrecklesOpen daily dawn to dusk.
St Mary’s is a delightful Saxon round tower church with a 15th century octagonal top storey. Look up at the line of grotesques. The Norman font is outstanding. One side has four figures in archways and two sides have bold strap-work. Notice how each corner is different. There is an hour glass stand next to the pulpit with a modern replica inside. By the priest’s door in the chancel is a small stone oval with the words ‘Stat ut vixit erecta’ (‘stands erect as she lived’). This is the grave of Ursula Hewyt who died in 1658 and she is buried in the upright position.
Incorrect information? Update this entry