St Swithin’s, BintreeThis church is kept locked, apart from between 12:15 and 1:15 on Fridays when it is used as a Post Office.
This church building is managed by Norwich Diocesan Churches Trust.
This church is one of four in Norfolk dedication to St Swithin, the Anglo-Saxon bishop of Winchester. He looks down from his statue niche in the porch. The tower dates to the early 14th century and features simple Y-tracery. Most of the chancel collapsed in 1806 and was rebuilt on a smaller scale. The 12th century pillar piscina remains despite the two rebuildings. The vast pulpit was paid for by the sale of a bell in 1864. Father Richard Enracht was rector from 1895-1898 and was the last priest to be imprisoned under the Public Worship Regulation Act for incorporating Roman ritual into his services. This legislation was soon withdrawn due to public outcry. His remains are buried at east end of the church.
St Swithin’s Church is in the care of the Diocesan Churches Trust.
Incorrect information? Update this entry