St Mary’s, SnettishamOpen daily dawn to dusk.
The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner called St Mary's Church "the most exciting 14th Century Decorated church in Norfolk." The church, with its 175ft tower and spire, sits on high ground above the village, and was often used a landmark by sailors navigating The Wash. It is one of only five spires in Norfolk. It was largely rebuilt after a storm in 1895. In the churchyard are the remains of the medieval chancel. St Mary's is thought to be the first English church damaged by a German bomb, dropped in January 1915. It landed in a nearby field and blew out some of the church's windows.
Incorrect information? Update this entry